- What is Tooway?
Tooway was Europe’s first affordable satellite broadband products designed for home users. Using the latest hardware and antenna technology Tooway offers super fast broadband, anywhere in Europe, irrespective of whether there’s any fixed line infrastructure nearby.
Depending on the airtime account you chose, hardware and connection are FREE and airtime starts at £19.99 a month (or €19.95) inclusive of UK VAT.Tooway is a bidirectional high speed satellite service for broadband Internet access. Bidirectional means that receive and transmit functions are performed via the satellite; therefore there is no need for telephone line.
- What happened to ToowayDirect?
- In May 2013 we re-branded ToowayDirect as Europasat and launched a new website offering a wider choice of satellite broadband options from a number of different networks to give our customers the widest possible range of options and tariffs. We continue to support our many thousand Tooway customers, and continue to connect dozens of new customers to Tooway services every day. ToowayDirect was and Europasat is a trading style of Satellite Solutions Worldwide Ltd (SSW) who also own the Tariam Satellite Broadband brand.
SSW is an established global telecommunications company and is one of the largest Tooway Distributors in Northern Europe, and we’ve been delivering Tooway satellite broadband services for several years through the ToowayDirect and Tariam websites.
- How fast is Tooway?
- The home user version of Tooway offers download speeds of up to 22 Mbps and upload speeds at up to 6 Mbps. When we say “up to” we mean this is peak speed wherever you live, Tooway doesn’t discriminate by location. Tooway Pro offers up to 50 Mb download, 20 Mb upload for business users still will the same cheap hardware.
The exact ‘speed’ or performance of your Tooway connection at any given time will depend on a number of factors many of them outside our control. These include the overall busyness of our network at that precise moment, the overall busyness of the public internet, and the protocol or application you’re using at the time.
- Are email and other services included in the Tooway service?
- All our Tooway Ka Sat customers get free access to Google Apps and a free esatmail.com email address, powered by Gmail.Tooway also fully supports webmail like Hotmail, MSN and Yahoo.
If you’re using Tooway for the first time, and you want to keep your old email address and use an email client like Microsoft Outlook, you need to look to the originator of your email address (or hosting company) for the settings you need to send email. E.g. if you have an email address like firstname.lastname@example.org, you need to talk to BT. If you have a Yahoo email email@example.com, you need to contact Yahoo.
Europasat strongly recommends that you install a (software or hardware) firewall to protect you from any unwanted attempts to access the files on your computer. We also suggest you install quality anti-virus software.
For example, ZoneAlarm is a handy personal firewall application, free for personal use (see http://www.zonelabs.com). For free anti-virus software, you could try AVG (see http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage/).
- Can I use Tooway with a wired or wireless network?
- Yes, you can use a wired or wireless router to connect your Tooway terminal to several PC’s or smart phones in your home.We can supply a wired/wireless router with your Tooway at a low additional cost, just select that option in the order process..
- Does Tooway offer triple-play services?
- Tooway gives access to satellite television by adding a small piece of equipment to the satellite dish, this will need to be done by a competent installer. This allows both free-to-air and paying channels to be received in the UK.
The availability of these channels outside the UK is changing all the time, please contact us for up-to-date information. You can also take advantage of the latest crop of ‘watch again’ portals, particularly suited to the Tooway Extra.
Tooway can also support telephone through VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology like Skype.
- Can I play on-line games with Tooway?
- In principle yes and games that don’t involve fast real-time interaction should work fine on Tooway, like chess or backgammon but it is not recommended to play so called “first-person shooter” games.
Any kind of combat or game that involves the need for an immediate reaction will not work so well just due to the extra time involved in the trip to the satellite and back that your data has to make.
- Can I watch television with Tooway?
- Yes, in the UK our Tooway solution can receive satellite television through a television feed added on to the satellite dish. In the ordering process, look out for the “TV module”. The advantage of receiving satellite television is that it does not use your internet connection.You can also take advantage of the latest crop of ‘watch again’ portals, particularly suited to the Tooway Extra.
The availability of UK TV channels across Europe is changing all the time, but its accurate to say that our TV module is designed to receive UK TV channels in the UK only.
Tooway services from Europasat support UK ‘watch again’ portals like BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 OD and ITV Player, the only home satellite broadband service in the UK to do so. Other Tooway distributors may claim that you get access to UK content with their services. However, with Europasat you get a proper UK IP address meaning that access to your favourite UK websites is easy and straightforward.
If you have really slow broadband, there’s more about streaming movies and video on demand over satellite broadband here.
- Is the Tooway service available in Libya?
- Some early satellite footprint maps for the Ka Sat satellite indicate coverage in Libya, but the satellite owners Eutelsat have sold the Libyan capacity in its entirety to a Libyan operator. We are unable to connect customers located in Libya or supply Tooway kit which is destined for Libya as ultimately it can’t be connected to the service.
- What happens if I order Tooway, and fibre comes to my home?
- If you’re worried about ordering Tooway with a 24 month contract because you think fibre optic broadband might still come to your home or office, don’t worry. If at any time in the first 2 years (minimum contract period) you get the ability to connect to fibre optic broadband at the premises where your Tooway is to be installed, if you return the complete Tooway kit (along with all parts in working order) at your own cost, we’ll happily release you from your contract.
Please contact us in advance of sending your kit back so we can issue an RMA (Returned Merchandise Authorisation) number and explain the correct process.*If you opt for ‘Outright purchase’ of your Tooway kit, there’s no long term commitment, just a 30 day notice, monthly rolling contract.
*Terms and conditions apply
- Can I upgrade and downgrade between the different tariffs?
- Yes. If you want to change tariffs you can do during the first 24 months of the contract, or at any time after. If you downgrade to a lower tariff than the one you’re on, you will be charged 1 month of your old tariff as a downgrade fee.
Your downgrade will be processed on your data reset date (the day your monthly data allowance is normally credited). If you want to upgrade to a higher tariff, you can do so. Upgrades are normally processed at midnight on the day we receive the instruction. You will be charged for whatever pro-rata part month is applicable between the date you ask us to upgrade you, and your next billing date and then the new tariff you’ve chosen from then on.
You can only upgrade or downgrade once in each billing month. If you want to process an upgrade/downgrade please contact us.
- What support and warranty comes with the Tooway product?
- The equipment is covered by a 2 year full manufacturers “return to base” warranty.If you have a technical or service issue with your Tooway system, contact us by raising a support ticket
- Why should I buy Tooway through Europasat?
- Europasat (formerly ToowayDirect) has developed its Tooway product working with its partners Eutelsat and Skylogic. We’ve added a few extras to our Tooway solution which mean our Tooway proposition stands out from other companies who may say they can offer you a similar solution.A key fact is that Tooway services from Europasat support UK ‘watch again’ portals like BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 OD and ITV Player, we are the only Tooway distributor and home satellite broadband service in the UK to do so. If you live abroad, and want to watch UK TV on-line, this means our Tooway service is the one for you.
In summary from Europasat you can expect:-
- Industry leading customer support with secure on-line ordering, billing, and invoicing
- 24/7 technical support, 365 days a year with a UK call centre
- The option to either ‘Contract Rent’ your equipment, or buy your Tooway kit outright.
- All our Tooway Ka Sat customers get FREE access to Google Apps with their own esatmail.com email address
- A proper UK IP address meaning easy access to UK websites and content portals.
- The option to try-before-you-buy. (We have a network of resellers who can provide a demonstration near to where you live).
- Our Refer-a-Neighbour Scheme which means you can get your satellite airtime for free.
- A fair and unambiguous contract
- The best prices in Europe with the ability to order and pay in £ Sterling or € Euros, with a like for like price match guarantee
- Clear, consumer orientated pricing with prices shown including VAT
- Professional installation with Certified Installers and Technical Support that’s the best in the industry, or the option to use a local Dealer or Installer to do the work.
- How do you ensure your quoted speeds are achieved?
- In order for everyone on the Tooway platform to get a good reliable service, we operate a sophisticated Network Management System. Our Tooway products feature a new ‘Flat Rate’ method of calculating customers day-to-day data consumption. This means that right up to when you’ve used all your data allowance for the month, you’ll benefit from the best possible performance available on the network.
Some satellite broadband networks will throttle you even if the network isn’t that busy and the bandwidth to maintain services at full speed isn’t being used by other customers. Our Tooway network won’t do that. Our emphasis is on delivering you the best performance that the network can deliver within your chosen data allowance.
Of course we have to take steps to manage usage. If we don’t customers can suffer from degraded or denied service when one user (or a small group of users) consumes a disproportionate amount of the network’s resources. For instance during peak times, customers who are persistently very heavy users may find that non urgent traffic (like peer-to-peer networking) may be assigned a different priority level by the network to ensure other users receive a good quality service.
The way we manage our network means that if the network is very busy, customers who’ve used less than 50% of their monthly data allowance will be given slightly higher priority to those who’ve used more than 50%. We estimate that this will only occur at the peak times of network activity.
Customers data allowances run for 1 month from their connection date, and customer’s data accounts are credited with their new allowance on that date each month.
- Get your Tooway hardware FREE
- We offer FREE set-up and connection on our ‘FREE set-up Contract Rental’ options which mean if you self install your Tooway kit you pay no other set-up costs, just you monthly airtime. You pay a slightly higher monthly airtime charge to cover these costs.
Homes and small businesses in Wales who are outside the reach of traditional fixed line broadband, or who have poor broadband speed, can get a grant covering the set-up costs of Tooway from the Superfast Cymru scheme which pays the set-up costs of Tooway in Wales including the hardware and installation. Talk to our Customer Service team and they’ll tell you how to apply. There’s more information on our Free Broadband Wales page.
- Get your Tooway airtime FREE
Yes, that’s right FREE! We operate a referral scheme called Refer-a-Neighbour. An increasing number of customers in remote locations are using the ‘refer-a-neighbour’ Scheme to get their ongoing monthly satellite airtime for free.
This works well because we often find that if there’s one home in a rural not-spot without broadband, there’s usually several others in the vicinity! Once you have your new Tooway Broadband system up and running, if you introduce neighbours to us who subsequently buy satellite broadband from Europasat as well, for every one you introduce we’ll give you a month’s airtime for free!
We’ll also give the neighbour you refer a FREE month as well, you can’t say fairer than that!
12 friends or neighbours signing up a year, and you get your airtime for free! You can read more detail about how it works here.
If you want to take it one stage further and think you could build a business out of selling satellite broadband, take a look at our Reseller Program.
If you have a rural or installation based company, there are potentially 43 million people in Europe with no or slow broadband. You could help us reach them, and look after them, and build a quality business for yourself as well!
- Can I try the Tooway solution before I buy it?
- We always happy to welcome customers to our European Operations Centre in Bicester, (just north of M40 Junction 9) to come and try Tooway before you order. You can bring a laptop and plug in and try your own applications or feel free to browse using one of ours. Just make sure you let us know when you’re planning on coming so that we can book you a slot and get the kettle on!
If you’re not local to us, we have a network of Certified Dealers and Installers across Europe who can demonstrate, sell and install Tooway for you.
- Can I install Tooway myself?
- You can self-install if you’re good with DIY, take a look at our Installation Video to see what’s involved. If you’re benefiting from a grant or subsidy to get on-line with Tooway, you won’t normally have to consider self-installation. We’ll do the set-up for you.You can also talk to our Europe wide network of resellers who will be pleased to supply, demonstrate and install your Tooway kit.
Alternatively we can offer installation by one of our Certified Installers or if you wish to use your own local installer, we’re happy for you to do that. If you decide to go ahead with buying Tooway, there’s more information available during the order process on what information you need to give your installer and what level or experience the installer needs to have to complete the installation to the required standard.
If you’re benefiting from a grant or subsidy to get on-line with Tooway, you won’t normally have to consider self-installation. We’ll do the set-up for you.
- Do I need a telephone line?
- No, Tooway does not require any cable or phone lines and Tooway supports free internet phone calls via Skype. However you should be aware that free VoIP services like Skype aren’t suitable for making emergency calls like 999 and so don’t compromise your safety by leaving internet phone calls as your only means of communications if you live in a remote location.
- Do I require planning permission or other permits?
- Though local and country specific conditions may vary slightly, normally planning permission is not required for the antenna you will be supplied with, provided you don’t have other dishes on your building. If your building is a protected historical building official permits may be required.
Most issues with planning (or if you have a listed building) can be overcome by installing the antenna on a brick (not-listed) outbuilding or down at ground level. It is your responsibility to understand and comply with the rules and regulations regarding the placement of equipment on the building you occupy. We will try to guide you where possible.
- How do I know if I have line of sight to the Tooway satellite?
- In the UK, Tooway usually requires line of site to the South South East. We use the Eutelsat Ka Sat satellite for our Tooway customers. Ka Sat’s official position in the sky is at 9 degrees East. From the UK this translates to about 168 degrees magnetic (the satellites we use are based over the equator).
This tool helps you easily check the line of site to the Tooway satellite. As a rule of thumb if you can see a Sky digital dish nearby, this points roughly South East, close to where the Tooway satellite is in orbit.
We have a number of mounting solutions that can deal with sites where line of site to the satellite is awkward, and with , as we can connect you to any one of three different satellites, we can usually find a solution if for some reason you can’t see one particular one from your location.
If you’re still not sure about the line of site to the satellite, talk to our customer service team and they’ll give you more information on how you can check this.
- What happens if/when I move?
- Moving the antenna/dish to another location, whether on the same building or otherwise, is obviously possible if you move. You must notify if you plan to move house or premises as we have to complete licensing checks for the new location with OFCOM. If you don’t do this and the equipment interferes with other licensed equipment at another site you could be liable for a fine.
deals with the obtaining of OFCOM clearance for your initial installation site at outset. This is one of the many things we do in the phase between when you order and you receive your equipment. Please give consideration to the location of your dish to minimise the likelihood of requiring a move because on subscribing to some products or services you are required to contract the service for a minimum of 24 months.
- What equipment do I need?
- All you need is a satellite mini-dish and a Tooway set-top-box. No additional software needs to be installed on your computer to get internet access via Tooway. Europasat strongly recommends that you install a (software or hardware) firewall to protect you from any unwanted attempts to access the files on your computer.
We also suggest you install quality anti-virus software. For example, ZoneAlarm is a handy personal firewall application, free for personal use (see http://www.zonelabs.com).
For free anti-virus software, you could try AVG (see http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage/).
- Why does ping give a slow response on Tooway?
- The type of data packet that ping uses is not considered ‘priority traffic’ by our Network Management System and therefore if the network is busy, it won’t accelerate or may even drop the pings you send.
Therefore you will see a much slower response than for instance HTTP traffic which is considered a priority. Try using “ping -t -w 2000″ which will help.Ping is not a reliable method of analysing the performance of satellite broadband systems or services.
- What satellites do Europasat’s Tooway services use?
- Our systems use a variety of satellites depending which network you opt for, but if you select Tooway you will be working Eutelsat Ka Sat. is independent and will offer you the best satellite broadband network we can for your needs. We believe that we are unique in offering this service.
- How can I check what download performance I am getting?
- “Speed” is a subjective measure of performance. Typical “speed test” websites on the internet are not designed to check satellite based connections. They tend to add the satellites natural latency into the calculation of data over time and come up with an inaccurate result which will be inevitably poorer than the true performance you are actually receiving.
If you have a 2nd generation Ka Sat Tooway (installed after 1st June 2011) you can make use of our dedicated Tooway speed checker that’s been designed to work accurately with Tooway. (You won’t be able to access this application if you’re not browsing over a Tooway Ka band service. Please do contact us if you think you have a genuine performance issue.)
Overall performance of the service will vary at different times of the day depending on how busy the network and the public internet is and how many users are online at the same time as you. Typically the network will be 40% less busy after 18.30 CET and before 08.30 CET.
- Are there any limitations of Tooway I should be aware of?
- Very few, but satellite technology introduces limitations in certain applications. Unlike some of our competitors, our packages accept direct connection to Macintosh, Linux, Unix or Windows based operating systems.If you have an important application, task or protocol that you wish to run over your Tooway terminal, it’s important that as a minimum you discuss the precise details with our sales team before you order.
We can then indicate to you if there are any performance issues or limiting factors which we’re aware of, and can give you specific product advice to ensure you’re satisfied with the Tooway option you’re considering.
Ideally if you have a particular application, tool or piece of hardware that you want to run over Tooway, our advice is to run a live test before you order by visiting one of our Resellers, or by coming to our HQ near Bicester for a try-before-you-buy demonstration.
Tooway Satellite Broadband packages are not suitable for:
- Some remote control software
- Heavy uplink traffic, such as Web or FTP hosting
- Tooway Home for uploading streaming video or professional CCTV monitoring but Tooway Pro works fine
- Tooway Home is not ideal for remote access, but Tooway Pro works fine
- IPSec VPN applications (SSL VPN applications like on-line banking and secure websites are supported)
- Real time on-line gaming (never really practical on satellite based connections)
- Are there limits to how much data I can transfer?
- The up-to-date full speed monthly data allowances for each tariff and service level are outlined on the product chooser page.
If you exceed these amounts, you will find that your connection will be throttled by our Network Management System to around 128/128 kbps. At this point if you want to upload or download more data at high-speed (before your next month’s data allowance is allocated) you can either buy a 1, 10, 50 or 100 GB Volume Booster Token, or upgrade to the next higher tariff (if applicable) which will have a larger data allowance.
If you purchase a ‘bulk’ Volume Booster of 10, 50 or 100 GB, it has to be used within the period of your data month (i.e. before you next monthly data allowance is credited) or it will expire and any unused data will be relinquished.
The monthly data allowance applicable to your chosen tariff will be allocated to your account on the day you first connect to the Tooway network, and then monthly thereafter on that same day.
Details on how we make sure you get a good quality Tooway service are outlined above under the Question “How do you ensure your quoted speeds are achieved?
- I’ve heard of latency issues with satellite – what does this mean?
- Due to the distance travelled by the signal to/from your computer and the Internet Hub via the satellite, some older satellite technologies exhibited a noticeable lag between communications.
Our Satellite Broadband services employ the very latest software and hardware techniques to minimise this lag, including a Performance Enhancing Proxy (PEP) and web acceleration. In use, when a web page is requested for example, the hardware strips out surplus protocol data and requests, and retrieves the page in fewer larger ‘pieces’, than a typical dial-up connection for example, which assembles the page piece by piece. Similarly this technique is ideal for handling large file or email downloads.
- Can I fax over the service?
- You can obviously use email based faxed services like eFax over the service and these work very well. You cannot connect a fax machine to the service.
- Who handles the Tooway platform operations?
- Located in the SkyPark teleport in Turin (Italy) the platform and hub operations for the Tooway network are operated by Eutelsat’s broadband subsidiary Skylogic. Skylogic employs more than 50 people on site and operates 14 hubs using capacity on eight Eutelsat satellites. Dedicated staff will work at the teleport to maintain the highest availability of service.
- Can I use Tooway to connect to my work or office via VPN?
- Although there’s nothing technically to stop you connecting to your company’s corporate VPN with Tooway Home there are some things you need to understand. Check with your IT department at work and find out if your company’s VPN is an IPSec type of VPN.
If it is, these often require a static, public IP address to function. Static IP addresses are only provided on our Tooway Pro products.
- Does Tooway work with Vodafone SureSignal™ ?
- Unfortunately Tooway doesn’t currently support Vodafone SureSignal™. This is something we hope will change in time and we’re working with Vodafone to facilitate this.